Hi everyone and welcome. It’s Jenny here and it’s my turn to get you in the mood for Christmas. I know, that ‘festive’ word at this time of year! Some people are groaning about it’s use so early on, but the truth is many eager beavers out there are already making a start on their cards, especially those planning to sell them in craft fairs and the like.
Isn’t it sad though when you put all that hard work into creating the special cards only for them to be taken down and discarded when the new year begins. Well I have an alternative idea to sending Christmas cards this year, having put together a card/decoration hybrid that can be displayed year after year…
IndigoBlu are now stocking these 6″ (150cm ) MDF squares, ideal for all sorts of mixed media projects. Decorate, add a message on the back, pop into an envelope, and hey presto – a card and a gift/decoration in one!!! What’s not to love!
I’ve created a set of three using the new Clearly IndigoBlu stamps for the focal images. Here’s how I created the background;
- Brush a little white Gee-Sso Good! gesso randomly over the base.
- Mix Pink Iced Gem paint with Kroma Crackle and spread liberally over the surface, allowing it to dry and crack.
- Spritz with water and brush over a little Hot Cocoa paint in small patches.
- Cover in clear embossing powder and heat set.
- Spritz the surface with a little Lindy’s Stamp Gang Steampunk Sepia Starburst mist and allow it to seep into the cracks.
- Stencil white modelling paste through the Clock Face Stencil and allow to dry.
To create the toppers for each of these plaques I followed the same process;
- Stamp the Triple Parcel, Triple Bauble and Christmas Stocking images onto Watercolour Card using Jet Black Stazon.
- Paint each image using a fine nib waterbrush and Vintage Photo, Shabby Shutters and Barn Door Distress Inks.
- Stamp the complimentary scribble edge in FlitterGlu over each image and add Copper Kettle Mega Flakes.
- Stamp Square Peg Round Hole in FlitterGlu onto white card and add the same Copper Kettle Mega Flakes.
- Cut out all Flittered images before layering the large circle over kraft card and white vellum.
- Adhere the main layered circle to the base, then blend Black Soot Distress Ink through the Clock Face Stencil to match.
- Alter your choice of kraft card shapes with white Gee-Sso Good! and coordinating Distress Stickles.
- Layer up the remaining elements over the large circle, add a sentiment and splatter with a little black Gee-Sso Good!
The eagle-eyed amongst you will have spotted that there are only three plaques here – where’s the Big Holly one then Jenny? If you’re coming along to the IndigoBlu Open Day this Saturday 18th July you’ll get to see me create it! .
Until next time take care of yourselves, Jenny xxx