Hocus Pocus Icon

Helloooo, Lots of peeps have commented on this little icon which sits on my desk at demos. The stamp plate, Hocus Pocus,  is my humble homage to Edgar Alan Poe and JK Rowling’s Harry Potter. Our eldest daughter (now 20yrs) was, and still is, a huge fan of H.P. At seven years old we both started on our journey with Hermione, Ron, Harry, Hedwig et al when we were searching for a bedtime book in our local bookshop. (Do I sound like a geek yet?) From there on we were hooked. I used to read to her, and then sneek into her room when she was asleep, steal her book (oh the shame!) and read till the early hours!!(definate geek alert)

Hocus Pocus front cover by Kay Halliwell-sutton

Now for the nitty gritty………

Take one cute small wooden icon, splash a bit of acrylic paint on it (I used Plus One Colour because you only need one coat). Dry. Then use a Dry Brush Technique….funnily enough you use a ‘dry brush’ and a teeny tiny bit of contrasting coloured acrylic paint and lightly brush to give a distressed look. ( TIP:white for a shabby chic look, brown for a  grunge look)

Stamp the front cover with the owl and castle from the ‘Hocus Pocus’ stamp plate and heat emboss with clear or Distress Embossing Powder. Stamp background stamp ‘Script’  in Scattered Straw Distress Ink onto card, then overstamp gothic abbey and monk in black ink on paper and heat emboss in clear. Cut out and glue to front of icon. Repeat with the words ‘ A friend is like…..’.

by Kay Halliwell-sutton

Stamp the icon  using Adirondack pigment ink, then stamp owl onto icon and also card. Distress card with scattered straw, cut out owl and castle and glue to icon. COntinue same technique  on the back of icon.   Ta Dah.

'Hocus Pocus' Icon back cover by Kay Halliwell-sutton

Tags: ,
Posted in Uncategorized

27 Comments on Hocus Pocus Icon

1. Love this Kay! I have also accompanied my daughter (now 21) through Harry’s adventures and love every minute – really sad there will be no more.
    Kind regards, Dianne x

Dianne | August 1, 2011 at 6:01 pm () ()
    • Hi Diane,
      I have to confess when I read the final book, I cried when Dobby died.
      You can imagine what I was like in the cinema!
      Love Kay x

Kay | August 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm () ()
  2. Love this Kay! I have also accompanied my daughter (now 21) through Harry’s adventures and love every minute – really sad there will be no more.
    Kind regards, Dianne x

Dianne | August 1, 2011 at 6:01 pm () ()
    • Hi Diane,
      I have to confess when I read the final book, I cried when Dobby died.
      You can imagine what I was like in the cinema!
      Love Kay x

Kay | August 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm () ()
  3. Lovely arch. My daughter and I had the same conversation recently, she is 20 next week and feels like she has grown up with the characters. G x

Carol | August 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm () ()
    • Hi Carol,
      Yes, it’s true. HP has been such a part of their childhood and adolescence it’s almost as if we’re mourning the passing of that as well as Harry. I know it’s corny but how did they suddenly become adults, when I still think of her as my little girl!
      I bet they’ll be reading HP to their children in a few years. (gosh- that makes me feel old- lol) They’re definately a classic. Just like Alice in Wonderland was
      when I was a child.
      Love kay. X

Kay | August 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm () ()
  4. Hi Carol,
    when I was a child.
    Love kay. X

Kay | August 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm () ()
  5. Woo this is a lovely little project… HP or not, it stands on it’s own
    Frankie
    xx

Dragon | August 17, 2011 at 1:25 am () ()
  6. Woo this is a lovely little project… HP or not, it stands on it’s own
    Frankie
    xx

Dragon | August 17, 2011 at 1:25 am () ()
  7. i am 52 and have been wrapped up in every book and movie like a child. Love this project.

susan | October 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm () ()
  8. i am 52 and have been wrapped up in every book and movie like a child. Love this project.

susan | October 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm () ()
  9. Oh this is wonderful! I love HP too. I cried buckets at the books and even more in the cinema, much to my 10 year old son’s embarrassment! I’m looking forward to experiencing them all over again with my little girl when she’s old enough (she’s 5 now). Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Sparkle | October 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm () ()
  10. Oh this is wonderful! I love HP too. I cried buckets at the books and even more in the cinema, much to my 10 year old son’s embarrassment! I’m looking forward to experiencing them all over again with my little girl when she’s old enough (she’s 5 now). Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Sparkle | October 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm () ()
  11. Finally got the wedding invites finished, We would just like to say a big thanks to Kay for her fabulous stamp and her help with the design, they turned out perfect, xx

Denise | October 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm () ()
  12. Hi, popped in tonight to visit your great blog and am off to look at your store.
    Would love to follow your blog but cannot find the followers button.
    Wishing you every success. x

Annette Goatley | October 14, 2011 at 11:55 pm () ()
  13. Hi, popped in tonight to visit your great blog and am off to look at your store.
    Would love to follow your blog but cannot find the followers button.
    Wishing you every success. x

Annette Goatley | October 14, 2011 at 11:55 pm () ()
  14. I also cried when Dobby died – each time I read the book & again when I saw the film. I’ve got the DVD box set on pre order & I will be incommunicado when it arrives. 🙂
    I love this little shrine, the images look great & everything works perfectly together.

Kirsten Alicia | October 26, 2011 at 7:23 pm () ()
  15. I have only just found you. Love this project. Hope to see more in the future.
    All the very best.
    Regards Florence.

Florence | January 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm () ()
    • Hi Florence,
      Alfie

headhoncho | January 19, 2012 at 11:48 pm () ()
  16. I have only just found you. Love this project. Hope to see more in the future.
    All the very best.
    Regards Florence.

Florence | January 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm () ()
    • Hi Florence,
      Alfie

headhoncho | January 19, 2012 at 11:48 pm () ()
  17. Really like the stamps you have used on this product hope to see more!!!!

Jackie P | January 21, 2012 at 8:48 am () ()
  18. Really like the stamps you have used on this product hope to see more!!!!

Jackie P | January 21, 2012 at 8:48 am () ()
  19. have ordered the flitter kit, thank you, xx, be interested if you have any spaces on your DT?

Louisa Price | January 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm () ()
  20. have ordered the flitter kit, thank you, xx, be interested if you have any spaces on your DT?

Louisa Price | January 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm () ()
  21. What a super project. I am loving all your stamps and have a couple. I watched the show on C & C and now want some more!!!!! Thank you for the inspiration and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful creations. I hope you will be at the NEC in November – it’s the one show I manage to get to.

Hugs Ali x

PS I would love to be on your DT too!

Dragonlady | March 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm () ()
  22. What a super project. I am loving all your stamps and have a couple. I watched the show on C & C and now want some more!!!!! Thank you for the inspiration and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful creations. I hope you will be at the NEC in November – it’s the one show I manage to get to.

Hugs Ali x

PS I would love to be on your DT too!

Dragonlady | March 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm () ()